Thursday, March 12, 2015

10 Tips for Creating an Engaging Class Newsletter

The other day, I was talking with another faculty member about class newsletters and he asked me how many times I email my students during the week. He was surprised when I told him that I have an email newsletter for the top, middle and bottom of the week. He told me that he only emails once a week mainly because he didn't know what to say in them other than remind students what to do for the week. For me, the class newsletter is not only an opportunity for me to interact with my students, but it is a great way for students to engage more with the class

Not surprisingly, at the end of each semester, students consistently score me high on communication in course evaluations. I believe this communication helps me to connect more with my students and thus engage in a more successful learning environment with them.

Here are some of my favorite ways to engage students in my class newsletters:

1) Tell personal stories surrounding the weekly topic
s
Stories bring topics alive and give students something to possibly relate to. For example, when we discuss the types of computer hardware and software, I often tell students about the first PC desktop and printer that I bought to get through my computer programming courses.


2) Mention a current event from the day's news 
Many students are still at work and may not have heard about the current happenings in the news. Thus, the class newsletter becomes a source of information for them. In my newsletter, I make a point of mentioning any breaking headlines in a conversational sort of way.


3) Ask students for advice on a topic related to the course
An example of using this strategy is when I talk about the topic of "identity theft" in my newsletter. I ask students in my newsletter to share their three BEST tips for protecting their own identity. Students usually respond with very personal, creative ways they feel work for them in their personal lives.


4) Ask students to share how things are done in their workplace
Oftentimes in my newsletter, I ask students to comment on how policies related to technology and information are handled at their workplace. Popular topics are recycling computers, employee monitoring, computer usage policies, etc.


5) Give students information about their class community
I like to give students demographics about their classmates to encourage a sense of community. For instance, in my first few newsletter, I tell students how many of them are studying a certain major, how many of them come from a certain area of the country, how many of them are parents, etc. After using these statistics, I've noticed that students will often surpass their weekly posting/replying requirements by engaging with much more with each other.


6) Tell students about school events that are going on that week
When I receive emails from the school campus departments, these always make it into my class newsletter. I find that online students who are close to the campus will take note and sometimes attend events on campus.


7) Give reminders about upcoming activities in the course
Students love these snippets of "upcoming activities" from my course newsletter. These reminders often spawn quick questions from students during the week.


8) If possible, share a pet peeve that you have related to the week's topic
I have a popular online discussion called "Cutting the Cable TV Cord" where we talk about whether students feel comfortable replacing their cable TV service with Internet-based tv and movies.  Before the discussion forum, I talk up the topic in my newsletter by telling students how much money I saved by using Internet TV instead of cable TV. When I use this strategy, I also make sure to put an interesting description of the discussion forum
on the cover page.


9) Give students tips to do something faster and more efficient
This idea really works! I've had many students engage me by responding with additional questions or just thank you's when I share ways that they can save money, save time and save aggravation when learning about subjects in my courses.


10) Give your email address throughout the newsletter NOT just at the end
All throughout my class newsletters, I give phrases like "Need help? Email me at xxx", "Questions? Email me at xxx", "Confused about this? Email me at xxx", "Send comments to me at xxx". You'd be surprised but something so simple really encourages students to engage more with me.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...