Wednesday, February 11, 2015

How to Subscribe to YouTube Video Channels for Educational Content


YouTube Video Channels are collections of video content uploaded by the same person or organization. By subscribing to them, you are using YouTube as a PLN (personal learning network) for finding content from like-minded folks out there.  As a teacher and/or content developer, you can search for and subscribe to relevant YouTube Channels to get video content for your projects.   Here's how:



Finding and Subscribing to YouTube Channels

The first step in finding a good YouTube Channel is to visit www.YouTube.com and signup for a free account.  This account gives you  space to create your own channel, upload videos, and subscribe to other video channels.

Next, you'll type in your topic in the search box at the top of the screen. 
Use the "channel" filter to select only video collections.  For example, I just recently searched for some video channels for an upcoming workshop I'm conducting in e-learning. So, I typed in "e-learning education" for my search phrase.


Filter by "channel" to find collections of videos instead of individual ones.

Filtering YouTube videos by channel will bring up user accounts with more than 2 videos uploaded to them. You can see some of the channels on my list have MANY videos. I prefer these because there are more videos to choose from. I also look at the source of the video. For my workshop, I'm looking for videos produced by e-learning organizations.

I found a video channel with 85 videos by the E-learning Guild.

Once you've found a channel, you can subscribe to it directly from the search list OR you can click into the channel and look around. Once you subscribe for the first time, you will see a pop-up window asking you whether to make your subscription private. If you choose not to make it private, then the video feed from the subscription will appear on your account's video channel. Here's my video channel on my YouTube home page.

This is my channel section on my home page at YouTube.

When you log into your home page, you can see your video channels by clicking on the channels link on the top menu. If you need to unsubscribe to a channel at any time, just click the "Subscribed" button under the channel's description. It will then toggle to the Unsubscribed status. If you then refresh the page, the channel will be removed from your list.

Image: Pixabay.com
Articles related to this topic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...