Tuesday, June 30, 2015

How I Motivate Students in Online Courses


Pixabay.com

I'm one of the many teachers who came to the online space after many years of working face-to-face. I taught face-to-face for about 10 years before I started teaching courses that were blended and subsequently 100% online. As a classroom teacher, I always knew that my job was to -

1) present the subject matter for students to learn (in my case it was computers, mathematics and business courses) AND
2) motivate students to invest in the course enough to succeed. 



In the online environment, I find that while GOAL #1 is always there (impart the information to students), it's GOAL #2 that sometimes is more of a challenge. So, in this post, I'm going to
compare how I used to motivate my students in the face-to-face classroom versus how I motivate my students in the online classroom. (*Note: This was an interesting exercise for me and I definitely recommend this little exercise to other teachers who have a similar experience.)

Face-to-Face InteractionOnline Interaction
Ask students during a lecture whether they understandQuick polls, collaboration forums
Adapt course material based on students' reactions to materialDiscussion forums, adjust frequency of posts/replies
Encourage students before taking a testOnline pre-tests, quick polls on the test topics
Support students in preparing a final projectCollaboration forums, pre-recorded video messages on specific topics
Provide advice and guidance to student teamsvideo conferencing, short instructional videos to give advice
Give a pat on the back to students who fall behind.emails, audio messages, videos
Provide extra support to students who are failing.emails, audio messages, videos, IM chats, screen sharing, collaboration forums
Encourage students to achieve a better grade.emails, IM chats, collaboration forums

Face-to-face interaction by nature is indeed different than online interaction. Students online have different needs that have to be taken into account. As teachers (and developers) in online environments, we have to build "opportunities of interaction into our courses".

It's not as easy as it may seem.  How do you motivate your students online? What "opportunities of interaction" do you offer for your students? I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...